Pav bhaji a famous street food of Mumbai which does not need any introduction. The recipe to make bhaji is very easy and so everyone can cook this recipe easily in their kitchen.
Bhaji is made with mixed vegetables which are boiled, mashed and then simmered in tomato paste along with special spicy pav bhaji masala. I have used homemade authentic pav bhaji masala powder which adds a nice aroma and flavour to the bhaji.
Ingredients – (for 4 servings )
- Chopped beans – 3/4 tea cup
- Chopped carrot – 3/4 tea cup
- Chopped bottle gourd -3/4 tea cup
- Chopped potato – 2 tea cup
- Chopped cauliflower – 3/4 tea cup
- Peas – 3/4 tea cup
- Finely chopped capsicum – 1/2 tea cup
- Tomatoes ( big) – 4 to 5
- Ginger – 1/4″piece
- Green chilli – 1
- Butter – 1 tbsp
- Refind oil – 2 tbsp
- Homemade pav bhaji masala– 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt according to taste.
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnishing.
- Some extra butter to serve with bhaji.
- Lemon wedges as required.
- Blanch peas.
- Grind tomatoes, ginger, and green chilli.
- Pressure cook beans, potato, bottle gourd, carrot and cauliflower with 3/4 teacup water. After one whistle, lower the flame and cook for 5 minutes.
- After pressure releases, open the lid and mash vegetables with a masher.
- Heat oil and butter in a heavy bottom kadhai (wok)
- Add tomato paste, saute it, add turmeric powder, homemade pav bhaji masala powder, and salt, saute it till fat separates.
- Now add chopped capsicum. Mix well, cook for one minute.
- Now add mashed vegetables and peas, mix well, if consistency looks thick adjust it by adding little water and cook bhaji on the slow flame for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Switch off the flame.
- While serving garnish it with fresh coriander leaves and butter.
- Squeeze lemon juice as required.
Serving idea –
- Toast pav buns on tawa with butter. (Check the recipe for Eggless Homemade Ladi Pav Buns)
- Serve hot bhaji with toasted pav buns along with lemon wedges.