I am really very excited to share the recipe of crunchy and fluffy homemade soup sticks.
I have given a healthy twist to the soup sticks by adding oats and I have flavored them with carom (ajwain) seeds and sesame (til) seeds which add a mild aroma and enhance the taste of the soup sticks.
Freshly baked soup sticks are a perfect accompaniment with tomato soup or just brush some butter on it and relish it with a cup of tea.
Ingredients for 30 to 35 soup sticks-
- Maida (all purpose flour) – 250 gm
- Oats – 4 tbsp
- Active dry yeast – 1 tsp
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Curd – 2 tbsp
- Butter – 1 tbsp
- Refined oil – 1 tbsp
- Milk – 100 ml
- Water – 50 ml
- Til (sesame seeds ) – 2 tsp
- Ajwain (carom seeds ) – ½ tsp
- 1 tbsp milk to brush on soup sticks .
- Combine all-purpose flour (maida) and oats in a bowl.
- Mix well in the center and add active dry yeast, salt, sugar, 1 tsp sesame seeds, carom seeds, and curd, mix thoroughly and combine all the ingredients.
- Take milk and butter in a pan and heat it till butter melts.
- Take water in a pan and heat it till it is warm.
- Knead the flour with the milk and butter mix.
- Add water as required and knead the dough till it is soft and sticky.
- Apply some oil on the palms and continue kneading and punching the dough for 5 to 6 minutes. Add 1 tbsp oil, little by little, as you knead and punch the dough.
- Soon the dough will become soft and smooth.
- Apply some oil on the dough and keep it in the covered bowl for 2 to 3 hours in a warm place.
- Once the dough rises, take it out and gently punch it with your greased palms for 5 minutes.
- Now divide the dough into 30 to 35 equal portions.
- Roll each portion into the cylindrical shape, keep length 5 to 6 “, if necessary lightly flour the work surface while making rolls.
- Make sure that the thickness and length of the rolls are equal in size so that they bake evenly.
- Place rolls in a greased baking tray maintaining the distance between them.
- Brush each roll with milk and sprinkle sesame seeds over it.
- Cover the tray with a clean kitchen towel and keep in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the convection microwave oven at 180-degree centigrade with the lower rack in it.
- Keep the tray in preheated convection and bake soup sticks for 25 minutes or until they turn golden in colour. (my soup sticks turned golden in 25 minutes)
- Take out soup sticks and cool it on a wire rack.
- After soup sticks cool down completely store them in an airtight container.
- If making in winter, cover the dough and keep in a warm place along with a hot water bowl next to it.