Aalu ka halwa is a popular north Indian falahari dessert which is perfect for vrat (fasting). This delicious dish is a combination of potatoes, desi ghee (pure ghee), sugar, cardamom powder and dry fruits. Desi ghee and cardamom powder give nice a aroma to this halwa. Badam (almonds) and kaju (cashewnuts) add a nutty taste to this mouthwatering halwa.
Ingredients – (for two servings)
- Medium sized aalu – 4
- Desi Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Sugar – 3 tbsp
- Milk – 2 tbsp
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
- Kaju – 2
- Badam – 2
- Kishmish – 8 to 10
- Boil, peel and mash aalu.
- Roast kaju in ghee until golden and keep aside.
- Chop badam.
- Heat desi ghee in a heavy bottom kadhai (pan). Add mashed potato and saute on low flame for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Soon, the color will begin to change and a sweet, tempting aroma will fill the air. Wait for the ghee to separate from the potatoes.
- Now, add milk and sugar. Keep stirring the mixture till sugar dissolves and everything combines.
- Sprinkle cardamom powder and mix properly. Now, switch off the flame.
- Transfer yummy aalu ka halwa to the serving dish and garnish with dry fruits and serve hot.