What are fenugreek seeds?
- Fenugreek seeds are called dana methi in Hindi.
- They are small in size, sort of angular in shape and are brownish-yellow in color.
- Fenugreek seeds have a very strong aroma and the taste is pleasantly bitter.
Culinary uses of fenugreek seeds:
- Fenugreek seeds are widely used in cooking Indian cuisines, but because of their strong aroma and bitter taste these seeds are used in very small quantity. The aroma of these seeds is enhanced when they are roasted.
- Fenugreek seeds are used for tempering in dal, kadhi and sabzis.
- Fenugreek seeds are used in Indian pickles, curries and many other spice-mixes.
Health benefits of fenugreek seeds:
- These seeds gives relief from anemia, improve digestion, give relief in arthritis pain, aid in constipation and diarrhea, reduce cholesterol level (LDL) and cardiovascular risks, prevent colon cancer, reduce menstrual discomfort, control diabetes and are good for lactating mothers.
- The seeds also work as a blood thinner and prevent abnormal blood clotting that can cause heart related illness.
- Fenugreek seeds are good source of dietary fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, iron, potassium, calcium, zinc,
manganese, selenium, magnesium, copper, thiamine, riboflavin, folic acid and niacin.