Mastani is a very famous cool-cool dessert drink of Pune, which is named after Peshwa Bajirao’s wife, Mastani. Basically, mastani is a thick milkshake topped with a scoop of ice cream and garnished with dry fruits. In Pune, mastani is available in many flavours like mango, kesar pista, pineapple, vanilla etc etc.
Inspired from that, I am sharing the recipe of thandai mastani – a very new flavor that I tried, one that is not available in the market! It tastes rich, refreshing and is great for celebratory occasions. It’s the perfect summer delight dessert and making it easy and simple!
Ingredients for 3 to 4 servings:
- Full cream milk – 500 ml
- Gulkand – 2 tbsp + 1 tbsp
- Boora – 60 to 70 gm
- Saffron threads – 8 to 10
- Cardamom powder- 1/4 tsp
- Homemade kulfi – 3 to 4 scoops (click here for kulfi recipe)
Ingredients (to be soaked in water):
- Black pepper corns – 30 to 35 s
- Saunf – 1 tbsp
- Poppy seeds – 2 tbsp
- Musk melon seeds – 2 tbsp
- Cashewnuts – 10
- Almonds – 10
- Pistachios – 10
- Soak all the ingredients (black peppercorns, saunf, poppy seeds, muskmelon seeds, cashew nuts, almonds and pistachios) in one cup water for one to two hours.
- Soak saffron threads in 1 tbsp milk and crush them.
- Take chilled milk in a bowl and mix boora (finely grained sugar) to it.
- Keep 1 tbsp gulkand and little dry fruits for garnishing.
- Grind all the soaked ingredients + 2 tbsp gulkand along with little milk and make a fine paste.
- Sieve this mixture through a thin net, grind the leftover mixture once more (and repeat this process 3 to 4 times)
- Now mix this thandai mixture to the chilled milk and sugar mix and stir it, add cardamom powder and saffron. Keep this in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 hours. Thandai is ready to serve.
- To make mastani, pour thandai into an attractive glass, top it with homemade kulfi (click here for kulfi recipe) and garnish it with gulkand and dry fruits
- Cool ‘thandai mastani’ is ready!