Kulfi is a cool and rich frozen dessert for summers and is loved by everyone. Kulfi is very popular sweet dish in India. Any party or get-together in the summer season is incomplete without Kulfi.
Basic ingredients used to make kulfi are full cream milk, khoya, sugar, dry fruits, cardamom and saffron. Khoya gives smoothness and richness, cardamom adds mild aroma, saffron enhances the flavor and dry fruits give a nutty taste to this tempting delicacy.
Kulfi can be made very easily at home with this simple recipe:
Full cream milk – 1 litre
Sugar – 100 gm
Khoya – 200 gm
Cardamom powder -1/2 tsp
Almonds – 10 to 15
Pistachios – 10 to 15
Saffron – 6 to 7 threads
- Chop almonds and pistachios.
- Soak saffron in one tea spoon of warm milk for five minutes, and crush it.
- Boil milk in a heavy bottom wok.
- Keep stirring and scraping sides of the wok occasionally.
- Let it boil till milk reduces to half its quantity.
- Mix sugar and keep stirring for five minutes. Switch off the flame.
- Mix khoya, cardamom powder and saffron to this mixture.
- Let it cool at room temperature.
- Now pour the mixture into an aluminum container, cover it and let it freeze.
- After 5 or 6 hours, check the mixture. If it is almost set, churn the mixture for 1 or 2 minutes and the mixture will become a little fluffy.
- Keep aside some chopped almonds and pistachios for garnishing and mix the remaining nuts to the churned kulfi mixture.
- Now pour the kulfi mixture into the kulfi moulds and garnish with nuts and close the lid.
- Keep the molds in the deep freezer and allow to set for 6 to 7 hours.
- Before serving kulfi, place the molds in water at room temperature for one minute.
- Unmold the kulfi and serve it immediately.
Few tips for making kulfi:
- Always take full cream milk.
- It is better to use homemade khoya,
- Before setting the kulfi to freeze, wipe away all the ice from the freezer and set the temperature to maximum.
- To ensure that Kulffi is soft and smooth, churn the mixture after it has settled once. The churning breaks the ice crystals and brings in air into the kulfi mixture. Set it again after churning.
- After a few hours cool-cool, soft, delicious, creamy kulfi will be ready to be relished with friends and family.