Pineapples are a great fruit to preserve while they are in season. The procedure to preserve pineapple is very easy and it is completely free of artificial color and preservatives. Preserved pineapple stays good for 10 to 12 months if kept in the refrigerator.
You can use the preserved pineapple for making desserts at home. Few interesting suggestions to use preserved pineapple are:
- Topping on ice cream, dessert, and cakes
- Pineapple upside down cake/cupcakes
- Tart filling
- Pineapple raita.
- Pineapple sandesh.
- Use a fully dry vessel to store pineapple in.
- Use a fully dry knife to cut pineapples.
- Use a stainless steel vessel and stainless steel knife.
To preserve pineapple at home we need only two ingredients:
- Pineapple chunks – 3 teacup
- Sugar – 2 teacup
- Peel and cut pineapple into small chunks. (On my request, the local fruit vendor peeled and cut the pineapple slices for me.)
- Keep pineapple chunks in a stainless steel kadhai or wok.
- Add sugar and mix well. Cover the lid and keep aside for 6 to 8 hours. By then, the sugar would melt.
- Now keep the kadhai on stove and cook it on medium flame till syrup thickens, keep stirring in between.
- Check the consistency of the syrup. If it forms a thread when checked with a spoon, switch off the flame.
- After it cools down, store in a sterilized glass bottle and keep in the refrigerator. Use this pineapple whenever required.