Falafel is a popular middle-eastern dish. Based on its ingredients, it is a good source of protein. Basically, onions and garlic are used along with chickpeas but instead of onion and garlic, I am using carrot and capsicum.
- Chick peas -1 tea cup
- Carrot – 1 medium
- Capsicum – 1 small
- Mint leaves – 10 to 15
- Coriander leaves – 3 tbsp
- Green chillies – 2
- Lime juice -1 tbsp
- Roasted jeera powder – 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- Maida – 3 tbsp
- Salt according to taste
- Refind oil for deep frying
- Used 5 to 6 tbsp water while grinding the mixture
- Rinse and soak chickpeas in sufficient water overnight or for 7 to 8 hours,
- Rinse coriander leaves, mint leaves, green chillies, carrot, capsicum, and lemon.
- Grate carrots, and cut capsicums and green chilies.
- Drain all the water from chickpeas.
- Combine chickpeas, carrot, capsicum, mint leaves, coriander leaves, green chilies, roasted jeera powder, black pepper powder, red chili powder, and coriander powder.
- Now grind into a coarse yet smooth thick paste, add water little by little according to need.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl, add salt, lime juice, and maida, mix properly.
- Cover the bowl and keep in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.
- Take out the mixture from the refrigerator, apply some oil on palms and shape falafel into lemon size balls or flat patties.
- Heat sufficient oil in kadhai and deep fry falafel in hot oil, on medium flame untill golden brown, flip in between.
- Remove from slotted spoon on absorbent paper.
- Serve hot falafels with spicy and tangy hari chutney.
- To test the binding of the mixture, make one small ball out of falafel mixture and fry in hot oil. If it breaks or falls apart then add some more maida,
- Instead of maida, bread crumps can also be used.
- Fry falafel in batches of 3 to 4 at a time.
- After grinding the mixture it can be stored in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
- Store in an air tight container.
Perfect for the lunch box –
- Kids are likely to enjoy falafel with tomato sauce.
- You can make a burger with these falafels. Cut the bun into half, spread a layer of butter then spread a layer of tomato sauce. Now stuff it with falafels along with some grated carrots, a slice of tomato and a slice of cucumber. A healthy and tasty burger is ready.