Buns are very handy to have around the house, especially when we make pav bhaji, vada pav, misal pav, burger, or even have them warm from the oven with a dash of butter, jam or spicy chutney. The best part is that it is easy and fun to bake them at home. Here I am sharing a very simple and easy recipe to make soft and fluffy buns in a jiffy. I have added oats to add some fiber and make them even more healthy.
Ingredients – (12 buns)
Whole wheat atta – 125 gm
Maida – 125 gm
Milk powder – ½ tea cup
Oats – ½ tea cup
Active dry yeast – 1 tsp
Salt – ½ tsp
Sugar – 1tsp
Butter – 1tbsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Curd – 2 tbsp
Warm milk – 100 ml
Warm water – 50 ml
1. Take aata, maida, milk powder and oats in a mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly. Make a well in the centre and add yeast, salt, curd and sugar. Mix again to combine all ingredients well.
2. Take milk in a saucepan, add the butter to it and warm it till butter melts. Knead the flour mixture with the warm milk, adding warm water as needed till the dough is soft and sticky.
3. Apply some oil on your palms and continue kneading and punching the dough down for 7 to 8 minutes, adding 1 tbsp oil little by little as you knead. Soon the dough will become soft and smooth.
4. Apply some oil on the ball of dough and keep it in a covered bowl for 2 – 3 hours in a warm place. During winter, cover the container with clean kitchen towel and keep a bowl of hot water next to it. (I prefer to keep it in the oven).
5. Once the dough has risen, take it out and punch it well for 4 to 5 minutes more.
6. Divide the dough into equal portions and shape into buns. Grease a baking tray and arrange the buns keeping some distance between them. Cover the tray with a clean napkin and keep in a warm place for 45 minutes more.
7. Preheat the oven at 2000 C. Brush the buns with milk and bake on the lower rack till they are evenly brown on top. Check after 15 minutes or so. It took 17 minutes to bake them in my oven.
8. Take tray out, and brush some butter or desi ghee on the buns for a smooth and soft texture. Cool the buns on a wire rack.
9. Delicious homemade buns are ready to eat!
Enjoy the buns warm and fresh with butter and jam, or cool and pack them in an air tight container or Ziploc bag and refrigerate up to 3-4 days.