Coconut barfi is a traditional Indian sweet which is popular in all parts of India. It is made on many auspicious occasions and is very easy to make at home. In this recipe, I have used khoya along with desiccated (grated, dehydrated) coconut. Khoya helps in binding the mixture, gives a soft texture and a rich taste to the barfi. When freshly made delicious coconut barfi is consumed, it simply melts in mouth.
Desiccated (grated and free of moisture) coconut 250gm
Cardamom powder 1/2 tsp
Saffron threads 5 to 7
- Grease one plate with ghee to set the barfi.
- Soak saffron for five minutes in half tea spoon milk and then gently crush it.
- Grate or crumble khoya and roast in a pan till it turns light pink. (Prefer a nonstick pan because khoya tends to stick)
- Take desiccated coconut and khoya in a plate and mix properly.
- Take 180 gm sugar and 60 ml water in heavy bottom wok (kadhai)
- Heat the mixture and keep stirring. When sugar dissolves and this mixture starts to boil, let it continue for half a minute and switch off the flame.
- Add desiccated coconut, khoya and cardamom powder to sugar syrup, mix properly and set the mixture in a greased plate.
- With your fingertips, gently rub saffron on the barfi.
- Leave it to set for 2 to 3 hours.
- Cut into desired shape and store in an air tight container.