Kesar lachha rabdi is a classic north Indian sweet dish. It is a festive dessert but also a perfect fasting/vrat dish. It goes well with some sweets like gulab jamun, jalebi and malpua or as an accompaniment with puris. This versatile sweet dish can be served hot or cold.
Traditionally this classic dessert is made by thickening full cream milk until it reduces to one third. I have given a healthy twist to the delicious mouthwatering dish by adding grated yellow pumpkin, which increases the thickness and adds to the richness, nutrition and taste of the Kesar lachha rabdi.
All you need to do to make this unique rabdi is to boil full cream milk with grated pumpkin. Now, isn’t that simple?
Ingredients for 4 to 5 servings:
- Full cream milk – 1 litre
- Grated yellow pumpkin -4 tbsp
- Sugar – 4 tbsp
- Saffron – 10 to 12 strands
- Almond – 5 to 7
- Pistachios – 5 to 7
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
- Rose water (gulab jal) – 1/4 tsp
- Chop almond and pistachios.
- Soak saffron in 1 tbsp warm milk and crush it.
- Take heavy bottomed kadhai (wok) and grease it with desi ghee. This will make it easy to scrape the malai (cream).
- Pour milk in a heavy bottomed kadhai and boil it.
- Lower the flame and add grated pumpkin.
- When a thick layer of malai forms on the top, gently collect it on the sides of kadhai with the help of a chopstick or knitting needle. Keep repeating this process until the milk reduces to one third.
- Every time you collect the malai on the sides of the kadhai, remember to stir the milk from the bottom this prevents burning of milk.
- Now scrape malai from the sides.
- Add sugar and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add saffron, cardamom powder and a few nuts, mix well and cook for one more minute.
- Switch off the flame and add rose water.
- Transfer rabdi to a serving bowl.
- After rabdi cools to room temperature, refrigerate it for 4 to 5 hours.
- Now lachhedar kesar rabdi with pumpkin lachha is ready to relish with family and friends.
- Serve chilled kesar lachha rabdi with pumpkin lachha on it’s own.
- Serve with chilled mango chunks.
- Drizzle the rabdi on Malpua, Jalebi, Shahi tukda, Gulab jamun and Imarti, for a delicious treat.
- In order to get thick layers of malai, don’t stir the milk continuously.
- Stir milk after bringing malai towards the sides.