In English, it is called ridged gourd, sponge gourd or silky gourd. Turai is loaded with many amazing health benefits. Here are some of its most extraordinary health benefits:
- It is loaded with dietary fiber, it is low in calories and saturated fat, which aids in weight loss.
- It contains a good amount of cellulose and it is high in water content which helps to relieve from constipation.
- It incorporates insulin, like peptides and alkaloids which reduces sugar levels in blood and urine.
- It is high in beta-carotene which is good for eyesight.
- It is effective in purifying the blood.
- It boosts up and nourishes the liver health, and strengthens the immune system against infection.
- It is known as a cooling agent which helps to manage acidity and ulcers.
- It is a good source of vitamin A, vitamin C, B vitamins, folic acid, iron, magnesium, calcium, zinc, potassium, and phosphorus.
Recipe of Turai aur Moong Dal ki sabzi – for 2 to 3 servings
- Turai aur moong dal ki sabzi is tasty, nutritious, healthy and easy to digest.
- Always take fresh and firm turai to make sabzi. The recipe is very simple and easy.
- Turai (Ridged gourd) – ½ kg
- Moong dal (De-husked split green gram) – ½ tea cup
- Desi ghee ( clarified butter) – 1 tbsp
- Jeera (cumin seeds ) – ¼ tsp
- Hing (asafoetida ) – 1 pinch
- Haldi (Turmeric) – ⅛ tsp
- Lal mirch (red chilli powder) – ¼ tsp
- Tomato – 1 big
- Green chilli – 1
- Salt according to taste.
- Lime juice as required.
- Wash and soak moong dal in water for 15 to 20 minutes and drain water from it.
- Rinse, peel and cut turai into small pieces.
- Finely chop tomato and green chillies.
- Keep the pressure cooker on the flame.
- Add 1 tbsp desi ghee in it.
- When ghee is hot, add cumin seeds.
- When cumin seeds starts to sizzles, add pinch of hing and finely chopped green chillies and saute for a few seconds.
- Now add chopped tomatoes, put turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt, mix well and saute it on medium flame until ghee starts to separates from it.
- Now add moong dal and turai, mix well. No need to add water; while cooking it turai releases water.
- Close the lid of the cooker and cook until one whistle.
- Turn off the flame, let the pressure cooker cool down.
- Transfer turai and moong dal ki sabzi to the serving bowl.
- Garnish it with fresh coriander leaves.
- Before serving, squeeze lemon juice as required.
Serving idea –
- Serve Turai aur moong dal ki sabzi with phulkas.