Holi is almost here and that calls for a classic Holi special recipe – Thandai!
Most Indian festivals are intertwined with nature and seasons. Thus, the food and delicacies for each festival are known to be good for health during that time of the year, keeping in mind India’s climate.
Thandai is a cool and refreshing drink best suited for a weather that is warming up. Thandai is known to work against heat strokes and other heat-induced physical discomfort.
Traditionally, thandai is made on Mahashivratri and Holi. One can easily buy a readymade packet of thandai powder but that may contain artificial colors and preservatives. I say why do we need to go that way when we can make thandai at home with best quality ingredients and natural flavors?
This recipe is very simple and easy! Preparing thandai at home also adds excitement to the festival we all love and cherish!
Ingredients – (for 3 to 4 servings)
- Desi rose petals – 20 to 25
- Black pepper corns – 30 to 35
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
- Ani seeds – 1 tbsp
- Poppy seeds – 2 tbsp
- Musk melon seeds – 2 tbsp
- Cashew nuts – 10
- Pistachios – 15
- Almonds – 15
- Saffron threads – 10 to 12
- Full cream milk – 1/2 litre
- Sugar – 80 to 90 gm
- Soak almonds and pistachios in water for 1 to 2 hours, then peel them.
- Soak ani seeds, musk melon seeds, poppy seeds, black peeper corns, cashew nuts and rose petals in water for 1 to 2 hours.
- Soak saffron in 1 tbsp milk and crush the threads.
- Boil milk, add sugar and simmer it till sugar dissolves, switch off the flame and allow the milk to cool, then keep the milk in refrigerator (do this in advance).
- Grind all the soaked ingredients along with some milk and make a fine paste.
- Mix these churned ingredients to the milk, then sieve the liquid through a thin net or mulmul cloth. If necessary grind the almond mixture one’s more and then proceed with this step.
7. Add cardamom powder and saffron to the thandai.
Delicious thandai is ready! Store it in the refrigerator and serve it chilled. Add some crushed ice if needed!