Sabudana vada (sago vada) is a very popular fasting snack. It’s crunchy from outside and soft from inside and has a unique taste.
Since sabudana vada is usually deep fried, many health-conscious people tend to avoid it. So I decided to give a healthy twist to it – two twists, in fact.
- I made it in an appam pan with very less ghee so everyone can relish this tasty and healthy sabudana vada without any guilt.
- I have used roasted peanuts along with skin, which contains abundant amount of natural antioxidants. It also contains high amount of bioactive and dietary fibre which promotes health and increases immunity.
This is a very simple recipe and can be done in a jiffy.
Ingredients ( For 14-16 vadas):
- Medium sized potato – 6
- Sabudana (sago) – ½ cup
- Peanuts – ½ cup
- Roasted jeera powder – ¾ tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Green chilli – 1 or 2
- Fresh coriander leaves – 3 – 4 tbsp
- Lime juice – 1 tbsp
- Desi ghee – 1 tsp
- Sendha namak (rock salt) according to taste.
- Rinse and soak sabudana in sufficient water for 3-4 hours.
- Drain water and keep in colander.
- Boil potatoes, peel and mash it.
- Dry roast peanuts. Once it cools down, grind along with skin into coarse powder.
- Chop green chillies and fresh coriander leaves.
- Combine mashed potatoes, sabudana, peanut powder, sendha namak, red chilli powder, roasted jeera powder, green chillies, fresh coriander leaves and lime juice.
- Divide the mixture into equal portions, apply desi ghee on palms and make lemon size balls.
- Brush each cavity of appam maker with desi ghee and heat it.
- Now, lower the flame and place sabudana vadas in it and cook on low heat to ensure even cooking.
- After a couple of minutes, flip the vadas and cook till both sides turn golden.
- Serve garam garam healthy and delicious ‘no-guilt’ sabudana vada with coriander chutney.
- If you want to deep fry the vadas, fry in medium hot oil or ghee until golden.
- Make sure sabudana is soaked well, if it is hard from inside it will burst while frying.
- To test if the mixture will hold its shape while frying, heat ghee in kadhai, make a tiny ball of the vada mixture and fry. It is ok for frying if it does not break in the oil.
- If it breaks or bursts, add a little rajgira atta or kuttu ka aata for binding.
- It can also be served with sweetened dahi.