- With normal lunch or dinner, dry roasted papad is served.
- With puris, deep fried papad is served.
- On special occasions, masala papad is served.
- On auspicious occasions and on festivals, papad ki churi is served.
Lately, I have noticed at many Marwadi weddings crunchy, chatpati and delicious ‘papad ki churi’ with a smoky flavour is served as side dish.
The recipe to make papad ki churi is very very simple and easy.
Ingredients for 2 servings –
- Moong dal papad – 3
- Desi ghee – 1 /2 tsp
- Lal mirch powder – 1/4 tsp
- Amchoor powder – ½ tsp
- Tej patta – 1
- One small piece of wood charcoal.
- Dry roast moong dal papad.
- Crush it into tiny pieces and keep in steel bowl.
- Drizzle desi ghee, sprinkle lal mirch powder and amchoor powder, mix well.
To infuse smoky flavour –
- Keep tej patta on papad ki churi.
- Heat charcoal on flame until it is red hot.
- Immediately keep the red hot charcoal on tej patta (bay leaf), put a few drops of desi ghee on it and immediately cover the bowl with a lid and keep aside for five minutes.
- Remove charcoal and tej patta from the churi.
Papad ki churi with a fantastic smoky flavour is ready to serve.
- Papad is already salty so there is no need to add additional salt.
- Add lal mirch powder and amchoor powder according to taste.