Chole – 200 gms
Chana dal – 2 tbsp
Bay leaf – 2
Black cardamom. – 1
Salt – according to taste
Soda – 1 pinch
Tomatoes – 3 or 4 (medium size)
Ginger – 1/4 inch
Green chillies – 1 or 2
Chole Masala – 3 tsp
Jeera – 1/2tsp
Hing – 1 pinch
Oil – 2 tbsp
Coriander leaves for garnishing.
1.Wash chole and chana dal and soak in enough water for 8 to 10 hours. They will become twice as big in size.
2.Wash it ones again and put in a pressure cooker, add 2 cups of water, 1 bay leaf, 1 black cardamom, salt and soda (soda is optional)
3. Now cover the cooker with lid and pressure cook it for 20 to 25 minutes. After one whistle, cook on slow flame.
4. Switch off the stove and let the cooker cool by itself. Once done, check chole – it should be soft. If not, cook some more.
5. Chop tomatoes, ginger, green chillies and make puree.
6. Heat oil in pan, add jeera. When it sizzles, add hing and tomato puree to it.
7. Keep stirring this mixture till oil begins to separate from the mixture. Now add chole masala to it.
8. Keep stirring and cook on slow flame for one minute.
9. Add this mixture to chole. Mix Well.
10. Now pressure cook this till 1 or 2 whistle. When cooker cools down, dish out the chole and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.