Baingan (brinjal): 2 medium
Tomatoes: 2 medium
Green chillies: 1 or 2
Chopped ginger: 1/2tsp
Saunf (fennel seeds): 1/4tsp
Hing: 2 pinch
Amchoor powder: 1/4tsp
Haldi: 1/4 tsp
Chilli powder: 1/4tsp
Garam masala powder: 1/4 tsp
Lemon juice: 1/2tsp
Salt according to taste
Tej patta: 1
Wood charcoal: 1 piece
Desi ghee: 3tsp
Coriander leaves to garnish
- Cut brinjal and soak in salt water. This removes the bitter taste and makes the dish more tasty. (add 1/4 tsp salt in water)
- Blend tomatoes, green chilies and ginger in mixer.
- Heat 2 tsp ghee in a pressure cooker, add jeera and saunf. When it turns light brown, add hing and tomato puree. Put haldi powder, chilli powder, garam masala powder, salt, amchoor powder and keep stirring till it separates from oil.
- Now remove brinjal pieces from water and mix with tomato puree. Add 2 tbsp water to it, close the lid and pressure cook the bharta. Switch of the flame after 2 whistles.
- When cooker cools down, open the lid and mash bharta with spoon. Add lemon juice and mix.
- Burn charcoal piece on gas. (This step is very important to give smokey flavour to the dish.)
7. Keep tej patta in the center of bharta and keep hot charcoal on it. Put half spoon ghee on it and cover the cooker with lid. Leave this for 10 minutes.
8. Dish out bharta and garnish with coriander leaves.
Brinjal is very low in calories and fats, rich in fiber which reduces bad cholesterol.
Always use wood charcoal for cooking purpose.