Jeera rice is a very simple preparation, which is prepared with basmati rice, jeera and whole spices. When we sauté in desi ghee, we get great flavour and aroma. Jeera rice is accompanied with rajma, chholey, masoor ki dal or just curd.
The very simple ingredients are used to make this delicious jeera rice.
Basmati rice – 1 cup
Green chillies – 2
Desi ghee -1 tbsp
Jeera – 1/4 tsp
Garam masala – 1/4 tsp
Tej patta – 1
cloves – 2
cinnamon stick – 1″ piece
Green cardamom – 1
whole black pepper -5 to 7
Lime juice – 1 tbsp
Salt according to taste
- Wash and soak rice in water for 15 to 20 minutes
- Wash again with water, then drain all the water from it
- Heat ghee in a kadahi and add jeera. When the jeera sizzles, slit and add green chillies, tej patta, cloves, cardamom, pepper and cinnamon sticks. Sauté it for few seconds more.
- Now add rice and sauté it for 2 to 3 minutes on slow flame till ghee will coat all the grains
- Add 2 cups of water, salt, garam masala and few drops of lime juice. Stir it and cover the lid and cook on slow flame till water is absorbed completely, rice is done, switch off the flame.
- Separate each grain lightly with the help of fork, and discard all the whole spices from it
- Dish out and serve hot.