Gatte ki sabzi is a signature mouthwatering dish from Rajasthani cuisine. Traditional Rajasthani thali of dal, batti and churma is incomplete without authentic gatte ki sabzi. It is also served with paratha, phulka, naan and rice.
A simple dish that comes in handy when there are no vegetables at hand. Gatte (dumplings made with gram flour and wheat flour) are boiled in water, cut into small pieces and are tempered with jeera and ajwain. Ajwain adds very nice aroma to gatte ki sabzi and also helps in digestion. It is finally simmered in a tomato and curd gravy.
Add this delicious subzi to your next meal. The recipe is very simple and easy.
Ingredients for 3 to 4 servings:
Ingredients to make Gatte:
- Besan (Bengal gram flour) – 1 tea cup (The tea cup which I used for measuring is of 175 ml)
- Aata (wheat flour) – ¼ tea cup
- Ajwain (carom seeds) – 1/8 tsp
- Hing( Asafetida) – 1 pinch
- Red chilli powder – ¼ tsp
- Haldi (turmeric) – 1/8 tsp
- Refind oil – 3 tsp
- Curd – 2 tbsp
- Salt according to taste.
Ingredients for tempering:
- Tomato – 1 big
- Dahi (curd) – ½ cup
- Refined oil – 1 tbsp
- Jeera (cumin seeds) – ½ tsp
- Ajwain (carom seeds) – ¼ tsp
- Hing (asafetida) – 1 pinch
- Haldi (turmeric) – ¼ tsp
- Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Dhania (coriander powder) – 1 tbsp
- Garam masala powder – 1/8 tsp
- Salt according to taste.
- Ginger – ¼ ” piece
- Green chillies – 1 or 2
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnishing.
Method to make Gatte:
- In a plate take besan and aata, add red chilli powder, ajwain, hing, salt and oil. Mix well.
- Now add curd as needed and knead into a stiff smooth dough. Apply little oil on the dough, cover and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Grease your palms with oil, knead the dough again and divide it into equal portions.
- Roll each portions into ½” thick and 4 to 5″ long cylindrical shape.
- Boil water in a pan,add the prepared rolls in it and cook on medium flame until the rolls start to float up to the surface. It also becomes lighter in colour a little fluffed up. It takes approximately 10 to 12 minutes. Switch off the flame.
- Remove rolls from the water and keep them aside to cool, Once cool, cut them into small pieces. Save the water used for boiling gatte and use while making the gravy.
Method to make gravy:
- Grind tomato, ginger and green chillies.
- Beat the curd.
- Heat oil in a pan, add jeera and ajwain. When the colour changes to light brown, add hing and tomato puree.
- Add haldi, red chilli powder and dhania powder. Saute till the oil separates. Now add curd and keep stirring till it starts to boil.
- Now add the gatte and the water which you have kept aside from boiling gatte. Adjust the consistency of the sabzi according to need.
- Add salt and lower the flame. Let the sabzi simmer for 4-5 minutes. Switch off the flame.
- Sprinkle garam masala powder and mix well.
- Dish out Gatte ki sabzi in a serving bowl and garnish it with fresh coriander leaves.