On the occasion of Krishna Janmashtmi, try this delicious barfi that will add to the sweetness of this festival. The quantity of ingredients mentioned below will make around 30 to 35 pieces of barfi.
Gond (gum resin/edible gum) – 25 gm
Makhana (lotus seeds) -50 gm
Melon seeds – 25 gm
Grated dry coconut -100 gm
Almonds (badam) – 20
Cashewnuts (kaju) -20
Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
Desi ghee to fry gond
1. Soak saffron in milk for 5 minutes, then crush it.
2. Grease one plate with ghee to set the barfi.
3. Heat ghee in kadhai / wok. When ghee is warm, fry gond on medium flame. It tends to fluff up quickly so immediately take it out once done otherwise it will burn and taste bitter. Let it cool, then coarsely grind in mixer.
4. Separately dry roast makhana, melon seeds, cashewnuts and almonds on medium flame. Let them cool, then coarsely grind all dry fruits in a mixer.
5. Dry roast groundnuts and let them cool. Then remove the husk and grind coarsely in mixer.
6. Dry roast grated dry coconut on medium flame till it turns light brown.
7. Mix all the grounded ingredients and grated coconut properly.
8. To make sugar syrup, take sugar and water in a kadhai and cook on medium flame till sugar dissolves then turn up the flame when syrup starts to boil. Add cardamom powder and switch off the flame.
9. Immediately mix grounded ingredients and grated coconut mixture to the syrup, stir quickly and mix properly.
10. Transfer the mixture immediately to a greased plate, flatten it and spread it evenly. Keep the thickness 1/2 inch. Allow it to cool.
11. With your finger tips, spread saffron on barfi gently.
12. When barfi is slightly warm, put desired cut marks on it.
13. When it cools down completely, remove barfi from plate and store in an air tight container.