Dahi Vada is a must have on special festive occasions but this is such a comforting Indian snack that it can be had anytime!
Ingredients to make 14 to 16 dahi vada-
- Moong dal – 1/4 tea cup
- Urad dal – 1/2 tea cup
- Oats – 1/2
- Ginger – 1/4″ piece
- Green chilli – 1
- Hing – 1 pinch
- Saunf – 1/4 tsp
- Methi seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Kishmish – 10 to 15
- Badam – 3 to 5
- Salt according to taste.
- Refind oil for deep frying.
Other ingredients required –
- Thick curd – 1+ 1/2 tea cup
- Saunth (tamarind chutney) – 4 to 5 tbsp
- Green chutney – 3 to 4 tbsp
- Roasted jeera powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp
- Salt according to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnishing.
- Rinse and soak moong dal, urad dal, methi seeds and saunf in sufficient water for 3 to 4 hours.
- Drain water, put dal and oats in wet grinder and add green chilli, ginger and hing. Grind the mixture into a smooth batter.
- While grinding, add some water to ensure it is grinding easily. I added 2 tbsp water.
- Transfer the mixture to a strainer and sieve the batter through it, you will get light and fluffy batter.
- Now add chopped badam, kishmish and salt. Mix well. Batter is ready to make vadas.
- Heat oil in the kadhai (wok). When oil is medium hot, add spoonfuls of batter in the oil.
- When vadas turn golden from base, turn them over.
- Fry vadas till they turn crispy and golden in colour.
- Drain vadas on an absorbing paper.
- In a bowl, take water and soak fried vadas in it for half an hour.
- After half an hour, Take out each vada, press and flatten it between your palms. This removes excess water from it.
- Whisk curd. Add salt, red chilli powder, sugar and roasted jeera powder in it. Mix well.
- Now dip each vada in it and arrange in a serving tray.
- Top it with saunth and green chutney, sprinkle roasted jeera powder and red chilli powder.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve it immediately or keep in refrigerator.