Cabbage and coconut stir fry is a delicious dish from South India and is made on festivals, special occasions, etc. Usually it is served with steamed rice. This dish is very lightly spiced and full of flavours, which makes it very tasty. Cabbage is a healthy vegetable, low in calorie and high in dietary fibre.
Ingredients (4 to 5 serving):
- Cabbage – 1 medium
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Hing – 2 pinch
- Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
- Channa dal – 1/2 tsp
- Green chillies – 2 (slit )
- Curry leaves – 6 to 8
- Haldi – 1/4 tsp
- Lime juice – 1 tbsp
- Salt according to taste ,
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnishing.
- Rinse the cabbage and chop it into thin slices.
- Heat oil in a kadhai. Add mustard seeds and when they crackle, add urad dal and channa dal. Sauté till the colour changes to light brown.
- Now add green chillies, curry leaves and hing. Sauté for a few seconds.
- Add cabbage, put salt and haldi. Stir well and cover the kadhai with a lid. Cook on medium flame till cabbage is cooked. Keep stirring in between.
- When cabbage is cooked fully, add grated coconut. Mix and let it cook for one minute.
- Switch off the flame, add lime juice and mix properly.
- Dish out the curry and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve this delicious cabbage and coconut stir fry in the outer leaves of cabbage to make it look attractive.